Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Songs that take me back to a wonderful time

As any mother knows, after giving birth to a baby, your emotions are a little out of whack. 

This is me & H when he was about 3 months old. I have a great picture of me dancing with him when he was a baby but I can't find it
Our first born, H, was born in January of 2011. I only had 6 weeks maternity leave because I had started a new job the week after I found out I was pregnant. The whole time I was in the hospital after giving birth I would cry because I only had 6 weeks at home with my baby boy. Let me tell you, 6 weeks is not long enough. Anyway, JJs cousin Margeaux told us that they have play Bob Marley's greatest hits after their son was born and she thinks that is what made him such a chill baby. So, we went out and bought Bob Marley's Greatest Hits. I would turn the CD on any time we talked into his room; whether it was to put him to bed or change his diaper. Since most of the time I was changing his diaper, we didn't really make it past the first or second song on the CD too often. Because of that, I fell in love with the song "Is this Love". 

Is This Love by Bob Marley on Grooveshark

"Is this love, is this love, is this love
Is this love that I'm feelin'
Is this love, is this love, is this love
Is this love that I'm feelin' "

This verse sums up what I was feeling at that time. As a new mom, my heart was bursting with love. Sometimes I would wonder if that really was just incredible amounts of love that I had for H or if my hormones and chemical changes were just playing tricks on me.

I used to dance around the room with H to this song as he laughed and smiled. Every time I hear this song, it brings me back to the wonderful 6 weeks that I had at home with my son. 

After 6 weeks I returned to work. Talk about H.A.R.D.  Every afternoon when I would pick him up from his caregiver, Gayle, I would cry the whole way home because I was so happy to be with him. Without fail, almost every time we were on our way home, Katy Perry "Fireworks" would come home. Since my hormones were raging, this song made me cry. 


KATY PERRY - FIREWORK by KATY PERRY - FIREWORK on Grooveshark

"You don't have to feel, like a waste of space
You're original, can not be replaced
If you only knew, what the future holds
After a hurricane, comes a rainbow"

When that verse came on, I would sing it to H at the top of my lungs with tears streaming down my face. I just wanted him to know that he was perfect to him and could do whatever he wanted to do and be whatever he wanted to be. 

Those 2 songs make me smile because they remind me of the wonderful time when my son wants to be around me and thinks that I am the prettiest girl in his life. A time when the day can't begin or end until we have hugs and kisses. 

And then I had A. 

Truth be told, I did not want to have a daughter. H lit up my world and I couldn't imagine a girl doing the same thing. Was I wrong. 

My sweet little, messy haired girl after her nap. 

I was lucky enough to be able to stay home with my kids permanently after we had A. This was an adjustment for everyone in the family. I suddenly had more time to listen to music and fell in love with Phillip Phillips CD. I don't watch American Idol. I prefer my reality TV to be as trashy as possible (example: Dance Moms). So, I really had never heard of him and just could not get enough of him. JJ gave me Phillip Phillips CD "The World from the side of the Moon" as a stocking-stuffer. I would listen to his all day long. 


Home by Phillip Phillips on Grooveshark

This is the song I fell in love with and the below verse is what brings me to tears.

"Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons that fill you with fear
Trouble it might drag you down
You get lost you can always be found

Just know you're not alone
'Cause I'm gonna make this place your home."

I would sing this to her as I was putting her to bed. I wanted her to always know that I was going to do my best to make our house not just a house but a home that she could always run to and would be accepted. 

Whenever I hear that song, I think of rocking her to sleep with her little head on my shoulder and fingers intertwined in my hair.

So, those are 3 songs that remind me of my special times with my children. What songs are there that remind you of wonderful times in your life?

KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, and try to reply to as soon as possible! Thank you very much.