Monday, August 12, 2013

Doritos Pie & Death

2013 has been an emotional year for me so far. Not only am I learning how to be a full time stay at home mom and all that entails but I had to watch my grandfather died and then 4 months later I watched my grandmother die. My mom lost both of her parents in 4 months. 

Death watches are not fun. I have been with my paternal grandfather, my mother-in-law, and my maternal grandmother & grandfather as they died.  I feel really blessed that I was able to help provide comfort to my loved ones as they passed away. I also think it is pretty amazing that all my close relatives have been surrounded my love as they draw their last breath. As hard as death is, it provides comfort to those left behind that they were able to say goodbye and that they love them. 

My grandmother has suffered from dementia for the last decade but really the last 5 years have been the worst. She didn't like loud noises, sudden movements, or unpredictability. I hadn't been able to see Granny for the last couple of years because kids and babies are loud and unpredictable. 

Over last weekend Granny stopped eating and Monday morning her extremities started to turn blue so the whole family went to be with her. It was really great. Her husband (Papa Mark), all her daughters and all her grandkids (minus my sister who was in Colorado) were able to spend the day around her bed loving on her and telling stories. About 8 pm Monday night I needed to go home so I gave her a hug, a few kisses, let her know that I had to go home but I loved her so very much and that I would see her later. She opened her mouth and tried to talk and rubbed my hand with her finger. Those were the last moments with my grandmother and I feel that we both drew great comfort from that. Even though she couldn't talk I know that she heard me and was trying to tell me that she loved me too. Granny passed away at 3 am Tuesday morning while my mom, her 2 sisters and her husband held her hand.

JJ has been fortunate enough to be able to come home and help out with the kids while I am with my family. Wednesday he had a lot to catch up on so he worked late. Since he wasn't going to be home, I decided to make some comfort food (read: unhealthy) for me and the kids. 



Doritos Pie was first made for me in college by my best friend, Nina. We would make it at least once a week. It was great to eat before we went out drinking because it would soak up some alcohol and it was great when we got home to continue to soak up the alcohol. It doesn't hurt that it is easy to make and taste good re-heated. 

Doritos Pie has come to remind me of the ridiculousness of college when we really didn't have a care in the world and didn't know that real like was coming to kick us in the butt sooner than we thought. It reminds me nights full of laughter, flirting and the thrill of the unknown. 

So, when I want to remember the good times and some comfort food, this is what I make: Doritos Pie.

Ingredients:
1 tube of Pillsbury Golden Layer Rolls
Bag of Doritos
1 lb ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
sour cream
cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Line the bottom of a pan with the uncooked rolls. Bake for most of the time on package directions. I baked mine for 10 minutes. 
2. While rolls are baking, brown ground beef and add taco seasoning. 
3. Line baked rolls with crushed Doritos (I crushed mine as I put them on - in my hands), beef with seasoning, sour cream and cheese. 
4. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted
5. Top with Doritos and eat. 


This is a super easy meal and tastes good leftover. 

Happy Monday y'all!

KK

2 comments:

  1. That breaks my heart. and I know exactly what you're going thru in a way. In 5 months or so I lost at least 6 people from my family including my gma. and that was btwn August 2012 to Feb 2013

    hope things get better for you.

    http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/08/straight-from-heart.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, and try to reply to as soon as possible! Thank you very much.