Saturday, June 1, 2013

H starts swim lessons today



H is starting swim lessons today. I am very nervous about it. In fact, so nervous that I won't be going to the lessons. I am making JJ take him. 

Why am I nervous? Well, H is definitely not a swim baby. It took him a while to start enjoying baths and even now, after 2 1/2 years, he doesn't like to lay down in the tub. 

So, to help make swim lessons a little easier, we set up an inflatable pool in our backyard this week and have been trying to get him adjusted to being the pool. He has made progress. He now climbs into the pool all by himself and will play but it takes a lot of coaxing to get him to even sit down. 


I got him some goggles from Target to keep the water out of his eyes. He didn't like them at first so we have been wearing them around the house to get him used to them. He won't wear them alone; I have to wear them too. 

Rockin' our goggles
Since we had been making progress in the pool, I decided to try to get him to lay down. That didn't fly with him so I decided to get him to put his head under water.  Before we put his head underwater I worked on teaching him to hold his breath. I can officially say that I am not going to make a good teacher. Example of what happened is below.


As this pictures shows, he was not a happy camper. He did not quite grasp the whole holding his breath thing and freaked out when he swallowed some water.  It was all I could do to keep him from swearing off the pool forever.  We did end the day smiling so I consider that a victory. 


So, swim lessons start today at the YMCA. I will let you know how those go. Please pray for us!

Hope you have a great weekend. 
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, and try to reply to as soon as possible! Thank you very much.