Friday, July 26, 2013

Commenting Challenge Day 5 - Favorite Meal Ever

We are finishing off the week of Jenna's commenting challenge. I have really enjoyed meeting all the new bloggers and it has been really nice to have someone come up with an idea for me to write about all week. 


My favorite meal ever is anything involving Caprese. I first discovered Caprese when I spent time in Florence after graduation. Traditional Caprese is sliced tomato, sliced fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, salt & pepper and a balsamic reduction. It is very simple to make and absolutely delicious. 

 There was a little Cafe called Bar Daria near FSU's international school. I would get a Caprese sandwich every afternoon after class.  Other than the fact that the flavors are perfect together, Caprese just reminds me of a time in my life when I was adventuresome, stepping outside my norm, and exploring an amazing place all while learning about and bettering myself.  Who doesn't want to me reminded of that!?!?!


This sandwich is made of bread, tomato slices, fresh mozzarella slices, basil, salt & pepper and a little bit of olive oil & balsamic reduction. It can be served hot or cold.  It is pure heaven to me and a staple in Italy (and now my life).   

There are so many variations out there but the traditional salad is great. There is also a pasta version that I first experienced at Danny Rock.  It is no longer on the menu now, but man, this pasta melted in my mouth.  I have a great recipe for the Caprese pasta but I don't get to make it often because JJ hates tomatoes (unless it is a soup or something). 



One great thing about this pasta is it is great leftover. You can eat it cold or heat it up (just like the sandwich!).

Any variation of Caprese is great for lunch or dinner. It is nice and light but filling at the same time. I always feel healthy when I eat Caprese. 

So... that is my favorite meal. A nice simple meal from an extraordinary time in my life. 

Have you ever had Caprese? What is your favorite way to eat it?

I hope that you have a great weekend!

KK

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I've actually never had caprese before. I would love to try the pasta recipe. We love pasta. Will you share it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make it next week and post it. I will let you know when it is up!!I think you will love it!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Karmen- post the pasta recipe please!! We have ripe tomatoes in our garden that would be perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Please post the recipe and let me know when it's up! :) pleaseee?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, and try to reply to as soon as possible! Thank you very much.