Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 3 of the commenting Challenge - PINTEREST!!!

                            

We are on Day 3 of Jenna's 4th Annual Commenting Challenge. The topic for today is Pinterest. A Pin you have actually completed or ones that you want to complete. 

I tend to Pin a lot but rarely complete them... I am trying to get better at it, I swear. (You can follow me on Pinterest HERE. I have made some recipes off Pinterest but there is actually 1 project that I pinned and completed. 

It was around Christmas time and I was trying to find something to go up on our mantel with the Nativity scene.  I came across this on a blog that I follow, I heart nap time, and fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I HAD to have it in my house. Here is the pin.

Via
                                             
I love the rustic nature of the stained pallet and the sparkly star about the nativity scene. It was just what mine was missing.

This is a fairly easy DIY and only took me 1 night to complete. All you need is some spare wood. I actually went to Lowes and just got some flat pieces of wood (they were really cheap).  I already had the dark stain (I can't remember the name).  I picked up some Martha Stewart craft paint at Michael's.  I got a gold and a gold glitter for this project.

I had my husband cut the boards all the same length and then we nailed them together alternating the way they lined up. I them used my stain and put about 4 coats on the wood until I got the look I was going for. 

When it was time to add the star, I went online and googled "star stencils" and picked this one:

I printed it out on regular printer paper and went to work. I used a straight edge knife to cut out in the inside of the star; then I taped it onto the wood where I wanted the star positioned. Here is how mine looked:

I apologize for the awful photography. This was taken late at night with my phone. 

I then painted the star with the plain gold craft paint. I did several coats so that it would be really gold. Make sure that you tape the pictures down tight. I got the picture as tight as it would go without ripping and I did not have a problem with paint bleeding through or going outside the desired area. Once that dried I put the gold glitter paint in the center of the star. I wanted it the glitter to make the star appear to sparkle and add movement like the star was still guiding the wise men. 

Here is my finished product:

Seriously, please ignore the mustard looking walls (they are not mustard) and the awful photography. 

I am extremely happy with the finished product. I love it and can't wait to get it out of the attic at Christmas and put it up again. Every time I look at it, I smile :)

So... that is my most successful Pinterest project!

Have you had any success with a Pinterest Project or recipe lately?

KK

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment! I love how your project turned out! You have the cutest little family. I'll be following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great job! Even if it's one project, you finished it and it's something you'll always remember. Me, on the other hand....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Visiting from Jenna's! I love that! It's just beautiful.

    If you get a chance, check out my blog. :)

    www.afgolden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Jenna's. So glad to hear I am not the only one that pins but does not always complete them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Jenna's. So glad to hear I am not the only one that pins but does not always complete them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, and try to reply to as soon as possible! Thank you very much.